James Rennie, university of Nottingham, architecture K100, 2011, unit 1A,

This blog site aims to document my experience at Eco-build 2011. I was there from Monday to Wednesday morning . I then explored and researched some of the ideas presented further. It is important, I feel to have an awareness of new technologies, assess their impact and their uses. I wanted to ask how I could apply some of the technologies seen to studio design projects. I also wanted to assess there aesthetics, sustainability factor, their use in design and to critically comment on how it impacted my structural knowledge and my outlook on eco design and structure.

The audios where recorded on my Olympus DM450 recorder and uploaded them to dropbox and , I ask questions and recorded the replies, I have annotated the audio, and expanded on the information explained in the audio. The recorder was an extremely useful note taking tool. enabling me to record my interaction at Eco build. The clips are between 2 minutes and 30 minutes but I have highlighted important aspects of the clip, if you have the time I encouraged you to listen to the whole of the clip as you get a feel for the process and the way I experienced the show.

I wanted to produce a blog as it allows me to share useful links, information and audios. It is an excellent research tool good allowing me to go back update and add to information as required.

Blog contents

1.lighting v.s nature

2.Straw bale construction

3.How PVs work

4.Green roof construction

5.Rammed earth, the process

6. Glulam beams


Saturday, 14 May 2011


Lighting v.s. Nature- Not too relevant to my subject matter, but important to appreciate in future design.


- should wildlife take preference over human visual needs- impact and value

- relative impact on animals and relative needs of humans. High value on humans, and high impact on animals.

- Humans must address safety and security. Lighting reduces crime rate. Lighting has been shown to be more cost effective than cctv

- This is the 2D diagram he mentioned in the video

Photobucket

I asked a question at the end, on lighting in architecture, my question wasn't returned with a fulfilling answer however the whole topic is an interesting one to consider in the design process. One which hasn't been covered in my architectural education so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment