James Rennie, university of Nottingham, architecture K100, 2011, unit 1A,

This blog site aims to document my experience at Eco-build 2011. I was there from Monday to Wednesday morning . I then explored and researched some of the ideas presented further. It is important, I feel to have an awareness of new technologies, assess their impact and their uses. I wanted to ask how I could apply some of the technologies seen to studio design projects. I also wanted to assess there aesthetics, sustainability factor, their use in design and to critically comment on how it impacted my structural knowledge and my outlook on eco design and structure.

The audios where recorded on my Olympus DM450 recorder and uploaded them to dropbox and , I ask questions and recorded the replies, I have annotated the audio, and expanded on the information explained in the audio. The recorder was an extremely useful note taking tool. enabling me to record my interaction at Eco build. The clips are between 2 minutes and 30 minutes but I have highlighted important aspects of the clip, if you have the time I encouraged you to listen to the whole of the clip as you get a feel for the process and the way I experienced the show.

I wanted to produce a blog as it allows me to share useful links, information and audios. It is an excellent research tool good allowing me to go back update and add to information as required.

Blog contents

1.lighting v.s nature

2.Straw bale construction

3.How PVs work

4.Green roof construction

5.Rammed earth, the process

6. Glulam beams


Monday, 9 May 2011

Glulam

- Gluelam is composed of several layers of timber, stuck together with water proof adhesive, the composition of several small layers means curved forms can be articulated and reproduced may times. As a result they are very lightweight

Its more sustainable and effective when compared to solid sawn timber. Solid sawn timber has a large amount of waste in its attempt to get the best sectional cut. Glulam takes advantage of smaller sections stuck and arranged in the beams advantage.To get the same effect as Glulam solid sawn timber needs much larger trees that have a longer growth time. the overall effect of harvesting trees is much smaller for glulam as the process is faster.


Photobucket

Glulam is 2/3 the weight of steel and 1/6 the weight of concrete. This makes transportation costs less

The only limitation is perhaps access to the site and size of the beams. However they are usually used only to articulate certain elements.

I spoke to Pasquill (www.pasquill.co.uk). They provide glulam timber solutions for projects which do not want to use steal or concrete. I recorded a conversation with a representative for the company at their stand Ateco build, in the audio I asked how the product compares to both concrete and steal and if transport is factored into its embodied energy. I apologise, at some point the back ground noise blurs the conversation. but the audio elborates on the pros of the product.

DM450015

In reply to a question about sourcing timber from the UK they replied that the timber from Scandinavia is stronger and they can get higher yields.Rather than depleting the UK' wood supplies, they can rely on forestry rotation in Scandinavia. Although this effects transportation costs this would be far more if you where transporting steel or concrete.

Benefits of Glulam –(from the company’s brochure)

- suitable for large spans

- high strength to weight ration

- malleable

- the appearance of timber over concrete and steal – in reference to my studio project I would prefer timber, concrete and steal would contradict the organic elements in the site

- good fire resistance

- good chemical resistance

- can be worked using ordinary tools

- surfaces can be treated

- sourced from well managed forests, chain of custody certified

- recyclable

- generates less co2 than many other building products

- thermally efficient compared to many other building material

- dimensionally stable

the company has a good green stratergy

the technical info illustrates there parameters, but in general they are suitable for many facilities and uses Photobucket

I’m considering using gluelam beams in my current studio project, they span maximum 22m, im constructing a relatively small building- similar to a market space, the beams would hold a tent fabric that would be adjusted seasonally. The rest of the structure world be cladded by recycled or reclaimed timber.

Sketch-up model
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Useful gluelam links:

2. http://www.cwc.ca/NR/rdonlyres/5B9FFB1C-409C-4B65-BE03-338CC172F5EC/0/Glulam.pdf

1. http://www.glulam.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment