James Rennie, university of Nottingham, architecture K100, 2011, unit 1A,

This blog site aims to document my experience at Eco-build 2011. I was there from Monday to Wednesday morning . I then explored and researched some of the ideas presented further. It is important, I feel to have an awareness of new technologies, assess their impact and their uses. I wanted to ask how I could apply some of the technologies seen to studio design projects. I also wanted to assess there aesthetics, sustainability factor, their use in design and to critically comment on how it impacted my structural knowledge and my outlook on eco design and structure.

The audios where recorded on my Olympus DM450 recorder and uploaded them to dropbox and , I ask questions and recorded the replies, I have annotated the audio, and expanded on the information explained in the audio. The recorder was an extremely useful note taking tool. enabling me to record my interaction at Eco build. The clips are between 2 minutes and 30 minutes but I have highlighted important aspects of the clip, if you have the time I encouraged you to listen to the whole of the clip as you get a feel for the process and the way I experienced the show.

I wanted to produce a blog as it allows me to share useful links, information and audios. It is an excellent research tool good allowing me to go back update and add to information as required.

Blog contents

1.lighting v.s nature

2.Straw bale construction

3.How PVs work

4.Green roof construction

5.Rammed earth, the process

6. Glulam beams


Saturday, 14 May 2011

Photobucket

audio demonstration by www.amazonails.uk.org. the information bellow was also found on there website.

DM450014

Strawbale Construction
Nebraska (also called Loadbearing) this is the method described in the demonstration I watched at Ecobuild

Advantages:

A simple, straightforward and accessible building method

Easy for non-professionals to design, following readily comprehensible basic principles.

Designs from one room to two-storey homes can be created using a simple, step by step approach.

Curves and circles are easy to achieve, for little extra cost.

Ideal for self-builders because of its simplicity, accessibility, ease of design, and low cost.

The straw is very forgiving. Total accuracy in plumb is not a design goal but wilder variations can be brought back into shape easily!

Great versatility of design shape.

It's fast!

Disadvantages:

The straw must be kept dry throughout the whole building process until it is plastered, which can be very difficult on a large building, or one that is being constructed slowly.

Openings for windows and doors should not exceed 50% of the wall surface area in any wall (but hybrid methods can be used in these cases).

The following table shows how the insulation values of an amazonails standard build* complies with the new Building Regulations (the lower the value better the insulation):

Photobucket

Specifications determining houses without any need for heating or cooling take the requirements for the building insulation much further:

The Association of Environment Conscious Builders (AECB) silver standard specifies measures leading to overall 70% reduction of CO2 emissions compared to the UK average for buildings of each type.

The AECB golden standard aims at reducing overall CO2 emissions by 95% and is almost identical with passive house standard, that describes the buildings insulated to such a level that they could be heated by mere presence of people without any internal source of heat.

BRE Zero Heating House Standard defines a similar goal.

Following table shows how the insulating values of different specifications comply with insulating values of amazonails standard build.

Photobucket

The sustainability and use of renewable materials

Reducing carbon emissions

High insulation and low heating bills

Good sound insulation

Low fire risk

Low cost

Healthy living environment

Creative and fun places to live

I think this was one of the most honest stands at ecobuild, I think like rammed earth it is very labour intensive, but the human interaction with the building process is visable in the final product

No comments:

Post a Comment