James Rennie, university of Nottingham, architecture K100, 2011, unit 1A,

This blog site aims to document my experience at Eco-build 2011. I was there from Monday to Wednesday morning . I then explored and researched some of the ideas presented further. It is important, I feel to have an awareness of new technologies, assess their impact and their uses. I wanted to ask how I could apply some of the technologies seen to studio design projects. I also wanted to assess there aesthetics, sustainability factor, their use in design and to critically comment on how it impacted my structural knowledge and my outlook on eco design and structure.

The audios where recorded on my Olympus DM450 recorder and uploaded them to dropbox and , I ask questions and recorded the replies, I have annotated the audio, and expanded on the information explained in the audio. The recorder was an extremely useful note taking tool. enabling me to record my interaction at Eco build. The clips are between 2 minutes and 30 minutes but I have highlighted important aspects of the clip, if you have the time I encouraged you to listen to the whole of the clip as you get a feel for the process and the way I experienced the show.

I wanted to produce a blog as it allows me to share useful links, information and audios. It is an excellent research tool good allowing me to go back update and add to information as required.

Blog contents

1.lighting v.s nature

2.Straw bale construction

3.How PVs work

4.Green roof construction

5.Rammed earth, the process

6. Glulam beams


Monday, 9 May 2011

Photobucket
Green roof and brown roof construction

There where many contractors selling there ideas on green roofs, I spoke to a representative from http://www.blackdown.co.uk/. I found out some of the possibilities of green roofs and researched the topic further
DM450017

The main points:

Assuming you have a supporting structure- does it take the weight of the foliage and the water (irrigation) as soon, any green roof beyond sedum(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedum)needs a strong structural strategy.

Sedum supports one species. The brow roofs support more)

In planting a Special foliage can be used to attract a certain types of wildlife.

further research;

Green roofs deliver benefits to urban areas in particular. They insulate and they protect roofing materials; they clean the air and help fight climate change; they create rich micro climates. In urban areas they create necessary green spaces for work and leisure. Scandinavia has had green roofs for centuries, it has now become trendy and attractive to promote biodivercity, particularly in the UK.

Green roofs can be divided into 3 catorgerys

a. Intensive - a 1000mm plus layer of soil in which a variety of plants and trees are grown. As I discovered in the conversation I had with a representative representative of http://www.blackdown.co.uk/ these roofs are the best option to encourage biodivercity they need to be maintained regularly. The loads produced are significant, so an effctive structural strategy needs to be considered.

b. Extensive - 25 - 100mm shallow layer, often referred to as sedum because of the low growing moss or alpine species such used in the planting. The lightweight systems requires little to no maintenance

c. Semi-extensive – 100 - 200 mm- inbetween intensive and extensive, there focus however is on allowing little maintenance and reducing structure constraints an intensive room would put on the building, but maximumizing biodiversity.

Green roofs can effectively be created on any surface. any pitch that exceeds 9.5° will however have specific water retention requirements.

Construction requires a series of layers which have different functions; to retain the necessary water that will sufficently support the plants, but to also allow drainage, the roof needs to be pretected from roots and plant growth.

I got this list from http://www.triton-chemicals.co.uk/prode1.php

1. Vegetation layer - (plants)

2. Lightweight soil 50-100mm in depth

3. Filter mat

4. Drainage layer (such as Isola Platon DE 25 membrane, supplied by Triton. This membrane has a special 23mm deep stud design which combines drainage and water storage to maintain long term roof planting.)

5. Root barrier

6. Waterproof membrane

Other ways of promoting biodiversity in a building;

Green infrastructure, such as habitat walls provide multiple benefits for both people and wildlife. Habitat walls are one of the most important wildlife resources. They can be characterized as a hotel where insects can shelter and lay their eggs. They can also be feeding places for insects, amphibians, reptiles and small mammals, and provide them with nesting materials. Through the habitat walls the relationship between people and natural world is enriched. A healthy natural environment provides the foundations for future growth and prosperity and provides the setting for healthy and happy communities.

Green roofs are significant to my studio sites, and believe they should be seriously considered. Carsington Waters is extremely biodiverse, this biodivercity atracts visitors. a green roof could be a way of encoraging this biodivercity www.carsingtonwater.com


Photobucket

Green roof links

www.livingroofs.org an independent UK resource for green roof information

www.english-nature.org.uk

www.igra-world.com a global networking site on green roof

http://www.blackdown.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment